Thursday 8 November 2012

When I look back to my posts I often notice a pattern of similarities. Majority of the posts relate to backward-thinking fanatics who don't feel the need to progress with the changing times.

But, today I read an article on Jezebel that will change the dynamic of this particular post. An article was written on the first ever Asian-America woman elected in the Senate. I found this to be quite fascinating for two reasons: one, she is Asian-American and two, she will be the first ever Hindu to take an oath on the Bhagavad Gita. (scripture/holy book)

Both my parents have been brought up as Hindus but my mother in particular is the one that keeps Hinduism alive in our household. We celebrate all the festivals and I enjoy learning about the religion, culture and tradition. (more so the culture)

Every time my ma tells me a story from the Bhagavad Gita or Ramayan, it's as if she is telling me a bed time story from a make believe world. It fascinates me how bright her eyes get when she shares those stories. It could be because I have never had that sort of passion towards any religion.

So, back to the article I read today. It was interesting to see how our culture in North America is beginning to grow, but more so accept.

Acceptance seems to be one of the key messages gurus, priests, pundits, monks and mostly everyone tells. Accept people for who they are and what they believe in. It seems as if the teachings have always been with us but we often forget to accept not only what we believe in but in other beliefs too.

It's a battle of staying balanced in our views, thoughts, values, morals and traditions.


Tulsi Gabbard

Below is the link of the article.
http://jezebel.com/5958635/americas-first-ever-hindu-congresswoman-will-take-the-oath-of-office-over-the-bhagavad-gita


 

No comments:

Post a Comment